Great Moments in Homeschooling!
(discussing the phonogram 'ng' in our spelling lesson)
: 'ng' can come after a, i, o, or u, but in English words 'ng' doesn't come after the letter e
: but 'ng' comes after the letter e in THIS word (points at word . . . English)
: ummm . . . (Looking at book, book not helping) yes it does, Bobby, yes it does. Let's move on.
And speaking of homeschooling:
What does YOUR homeschool day look like?
Not curriculum choices, just the daily task of when and where and how you get it done. I've got a link-up still live through next week.
Please don't think you need to be a perfect homeschooler (not that that exists) to participate. There are lots of places to get curriculum advice, but not many places to get advice about when, and where, and how people actually DO homeschooling.
I really enjoyed reading the recent thoughts of Mary from Better Than Eden
, and Kelly from This Ain't the Lyceum
about their own deaths.
I am totally with Kelly on casket choice and general funereal requests.
But I'm going to go you one better. I want an old fashioned Irish wake. In my house.
That's right. I want to die in my house. Then I want to stay there, dead, and I want you guys to all come over and hang out. And I want to be unembalmed, so you'd best hurry. Bring the kids.
Then the Trappist Casket (this one
) and the Requiem Mass. These are my wishes.
But, hey, it looks like Nella isn't going to need to be writing up her own preferences any time soon
. Thanks be to God!
Colleen at Martin Family Moments wants your help
deciding whether to find out if she's having a boy or a girl.
The comments are predictibly split, with very passionate folks on either side.
We have never found out. I just assumed we would with our first, but the husband felt strongly that we shouldn't and, as usual, he was right. There is nothing that compares to that moment when he holds up our new baby and pronounces: IT'S A . . . whatever it is.
I have had natural labors throughout and I hate hate hate the pushing part. But not knowing really does give me an inspiration to keep at it.
Many folks who really wanted a boy or girl in particular commented that they wanted time to make peace with it. But for me, I'd much rather wait to find out until I have that baby in my arms. I could see being dissapointed with a grainy ultrasound photo of not the variety of baby I wanted. But I could never be dissapointed in that baby I'm holding in my arms, even if it does turn out to be, as Anita would say "another stinky brother."
One thing I learned while attempting to become a published author is that I had been typing wrong THIS WHOLE TIME. And I don't mean the actual physical typing, which I accomplish exclusively with the pointer finger of my left hand and the middle finger of my right hand, like all regular people do. I mean the formatting part of typing.
Like many people I took a typing class in high school, and like many people, I did not learn how to type in the typing class I took in high school. But I do remember that I was supposed to put a double space after a period. And that's what I always did. Until I learned, while writing manuscripts, that two spaces is actually NOT the accepted formatting
|get it? they're at a space . . . bar! found here
So I stopped doing it, because the rules are the rules ya'll.
A quick peruse of blogs I follow showed that about 75% seem to use one space, while the remaining 25% use two. My guess is that most people don't actually have very strongly held opinions about spacing after periods, and just type with whatever spacing they were first taught.
Exceptions to this:
Farhad Manjoo is totally judging you
if you send him an email.
This guy thinks
Farhad Manjoo is very, very wrong.
Um, there's also this guy
So who wants to tell Simcha
she's doing it wrong? Not me.